Google Search

Thursday, March 26, 2009

First Spring motorcycle ride.

I rode to work a few times this Winter and it was a little too cold in the morning (I know you are saying "no duh" to yourself rite now). I was planning on toughing it out and riding most of the Winter knowing it would be possible but my Mom came to visit for Thanksgiving and then we had a week of rain. So I just got too comfy in my truck. The rides home were fine though. Now Spring time is here and the mornings are warming up. I just went for an evening ride.

The motorcycle sat outside with a cover over it all winter and still runs great. All the moving parts, breaks, levers etc. work flawlessly. At one point it sat for 2 1/2 months but when I went to start it up, the engine turned right over.



In a comment left by ejc_61364 he was wondering about future upgrades or modifications I may be planning. Rite now about the only thing I am considering is a new chain. I may just put a run of the mill motorcycle chain on but I really want the Sidewinder V-Series Smart Chain. It supposedly reduces friction and that would help this 200cc powerplant out I am sure. I will keep you all posted.

Have fun out there and be safe on your motorcycles.

5 comments:

Jeremy said...

(email from "Idaho" and response pasted into comments"

hey there,

so it has been awhile since i talked with you the gas cap trick worked for the sputtering thanks for that tip. i was sorry to see about your motor, how is it running now? I plan on getting a 15 front and 44 rear sprocket this spring any ideas of where to go? Did you ever find out if it is a 127.5 jet? I want to get a different one so if you have any advice that would be great. I am also looking for a better air filter, do you know anything about better air filters for the xf. And last if you know of any other modifications for performance or aesthetics that would be welcomed. JP motorsports is a great company. I was shocked to see that they sent out a Christmas card....really showed they think about their customers. Well thanks and sorry about the 50 questions and I look forward to hearing back from you.
>
> Idaho

hey Idaho,

good to hear from you, i have not done it yet but i am going to measure the air filter hole then order one of the "one size fits all" k&n air filters. plus i wanted to wait and and have the air filter wear out before i replaced it. i would order the sprockets from jp as they have them both. not really planning on any other modifications except for the chain i mentioned on my latest post. i think it is the 127.7 jet. and from what i understand that is your safest move. my motor is running awesome.

oh yeah glad to hear the gas cap trick worked. it such a simple troubleshooting step.

take care and talk to ya later.

volksjagger

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say 'Hi' again, and thanks for the good blog.

I have 1900 miles on my Q now and it's a great bike. Only problem is the shift lever fell off but I found it and put it back on. You may want to check and Locktite yours.

I've taught two new riders on the Q, and I will probably sell it/pass it on to my girlfriend.

I bought a Dual Sport Lifan 200 to use in the dirt and as a commuter.

I'm also riding the Gold Wing a lot.

Be well,

Bill
maule@owt.com

Jeremy said...

hi bill,

thanks for checkin' in! good to hear from you. yep this is the perfect beginner motorcycle. no question. it is very light, low to the ground and has the awesome led gear indicator that i love sooo much.

sorry to hear your gear shifter came off, hope you were not too shaken up. thanks for the heads up. i have double checked mine and it is very secure.

keep us updated on the lifan dual sport dirt bike. what did you pay for it? i have considered getting one for off roading but i have to drive a ways to get somewheres legal in san diego so not to motivated. that and i prefer an atv.

take care and let us know how the lifan holds up!!

volksjagger

Juan Pablo said...

Hi there,
First of all, excuse my english... :P
My name is Juan, and I'm from Bariloche, Argentina. I've found this blog just today, and it's really good.
I have the same bike than you, but here it's name is Beta Motard 200.
Well, I think that's all for now.
Regards.

Juan

Anonymous said...

whygostock.com has filters and sprockets. Lots of em.